Where they speak Flemish (and at least 3 other languages) in case you didn't know
We were worried about Belgium when we arrived in Brugge at our hostel and it looked a lot more like an insane assylum than anything else and then when we walked into town and saw 5 other people on the streets. But the next day when we explored by daylight and rode up and down the canals our hearts melted. Brugge is GORGEOUS! Go there!
Our second day we rented bikes and biked across national borders. That's right we biked from Belgium into the Netherlands, a completely different country. Along the way we saw some incredible sights including, but not limited to:
- SurvivalRun, a 10km obstacle course/run. We like how the Belgians roll.
- the small towns of Damme, Sluis, Retrechement, and Cadzand-Bad, where we will have our summer homes when we live in the Dam. Thank you to Tony for the suggestions.
- finally seeing the North Sea after a long ride out
- cows having sex in an open field
- the stars out in the country as we biked home in the pitch black of night (why must the sun set so early)
We love you Belgium. We will be back soon. Muah!